Friday, January 15, 2010

Getting up-to-date(How to upgrade netbeans on ubuntu)

So sitting this evening/night trying to find out how to update your Netbeans on ubuntu, since the ubuntu repositories dosen't provide it yet. Same as with many other products you would like as a developer.

It should be noted that Netbeans can coexist with earlier versions(in my case 6.7.1 and 6.8)

*EDIT* As you can see in the comments this is not the official way of doing this - Perform the following at your own risk, I will gladly try to help in the comments section but no warranty is guaranteed.

So down to business enough talk.

Go to Tools->Plugins

under the tab "settings" you should find different items, they should be named something like: Netbeans, Third-party and Netbeans beta.

You should edit each of these items accordingly to the version you need. In my case I had to change the urls from:
http://updates.netbeans.org/netbeans/updates/6.7.1/uc/final/...
to:
http://updates.netbeans.org/netbeans/updates/6.8/uc/final/...

After editing each entry the plugin manager should check for updates, and as of writing there were 2 updates after this procedure. I updated these and when I restarted Netbeans I checked for updates and had a whole bunch.

I hope this will help somebody out there as lost as I am on the netbeans website.

2 comments:

R. Kusterer said...

This upgrading method works, but we do not officially advertise this tip on netbeans.org because it isn't QA tested. (What happens with directory names? What happens with discontinued or third-party plugins? etc.)
We cannot promise this will work with everyone's customized set-up, so you're doing it "at your own risk". The safest (official) way is to download a new installer (which also includes current SDKs and app servers etc).

Unknown said...

Hey R. Kusterer

I will update the post accordingly. Thanks for pointing that out. But installing with the new installer will that make a separate installation or will it "upgrade" my current install?

I was a bit disappointed that the only thing I could find on the website was a statement about the new version being able to run side-by-side with the old one.

/Nicolai

Choose a month: